Friday, February 20, 2009

Blogs and Blurbs...blerg.

My tech savvy sis created a blog. My dad recently started a blog. I had to Google the word "blog" before I even knew where the word was derived from. 'web' + 'log' = blog. How did I miss that? Well, now I have one and here is a brief blurb (seems like it should be a combo of other words too) about who I am and how I got...here. Oh, and yes I am fully aware that the only people reading this will be those of you that know me well enough to deem these entries unnecessary, but this is me making an effort to stay up to date with technology so there you go. Side note - while student teaching 4th grade I got to use a smart board, similar to what you would see political pundits use during election night. No clue how to use it, but everyday I attempted to use it I felt like one of these guys...


http://www.hulu.com/watch/40678/saturday-night-live-update-freds-mapfix-it?c=87:260

Anyway, back to the point. Long story short:

Childhood= mostly fond memories; High school = fine; College = fun; Adult life = ahwhaa?

In order to create some sort of analogy as to where I am in my life right now, I'm going to reference something I'm sure most intelligent TV watchers are familiar with - the hilarious, prematurely-canceled, soon to be on the big screen,
pseudo-documentary Arrested Development. The sitcom follows a dysfunctional family full of stunted adults who, I like to think, are still well-intentioned and loving....deep, deep, deep down in their hearts. And while I may not have as many idiosyncrasies (and I have definitely seen a chicken before) I've been starting to think that I, too, am stuck in some sort of suspended state like those characters.

The other day I told my semi-helicopter dad (think hovering) that 23 was the new 18. We both laughed, but not because it was funny. We laughed because it was pathetically true in terms of his dear old daughter's life. I'm going to be 23 in May and while I would love to claim to be the "grown-up" I know I should be, I'm extremely far from it.

This is not to say I'm not responsible or competent, just that I've still got the emotional and psychological maturity of someone much younger. Maybe that's why I get along with my students so well. Anyway, that's where I am. I've got big plans coming up, but don't want to jinx them so I suppose they'll get written about if they go the way I'm hoping.

Just for kicks - like I told Sara, you have to imagine the "Oh, Yeah!" part the way he used to say it.

Graffiti Win:

1 comment:

  1. So you might wonder how you haven't mentioned this and I am suddenly following it? Well basically I have a lot of free time on my hands and the nearest friend is an hours drive away. I saw "meet the press" on Leah's page and was thinking, "I wonder..." and so I found it. Thanks for entertaining me on this awesome Friday night. Fmylife.

    I used to have the koolaid man pitcher and matching cups... and that snl link doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete