Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Say What?


So I’ve been in Australia for three months now and worked as a temp receptionist at Cisco - St. Leonards for almost a month and a half. During this time, I’ve had a wide variety of conversations with my co-workers and have picked up some new words (be forewarned, I’m taking a total stab at the spelling here):

Aussie - pronounced ozzy. I just put this one up because I think it relates to the next few words.

Mozzie - mosquitos

Cozzie - bathing suit

Prozzie - prostitute

(I’m convinced they’re just very patriotic and want their words to end with the same sound as aussie)

Bogon - white trash

Sunnies - sun glasses

Arvo - afternoon

Lollies - candy

Macca’s - McDonalds

Acca Dacca - AC/DC

Pressie - present

Ganga - sluts

Fringe - bangs (as in hair)

Entrée - In Australia the entrée is the first course or appetizer. Confuse me? At home this is the main course.

The usuals:

G’day: Hello/Good day

Barbie: Barbecue

Mate: friend

More words to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment