chance to see Conan O'Brien live during a Tonight Show taping. Actually, I really wanted to see him before he moved an hour earlier, but I'd be satisfied with the Tonight Show. Since he's getting the axe, it got me thinking about the other live shows I'd like to see a taping of. Turns out I've got a longer list than I thought I would....and I don't know if I'll get to cross many off my list any time soon.- The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien - I became a Conan fan in high school. Leah and I attempted to stand in line to get tickets during a trip to NY, but unfortunately plenty of people had the same idea and the ability to get out of bed earlier. Things aren't looking too good for my favorite ginger. I don't know if I'll ever see the string cut dance live. Good luck Conan. You go Glenn COCO!
- The Late Show with David Letterman - Top Ten, Will it Float?, Know Your Current Events (winners sometimes received slabs of meat), Great Moments in Presidential Speeches (obviously a Dubya era sketch) , his great one-liners ("I wouldn't give that guy's problems to a monkey on a rock!" - what does that even mean? Who cares?), his laugh "he-HEEE," etc. Do you think anyone else could have dealt with the Joaquin Phoenix interview as well as he did?

- NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me - I listen to Wait Wait every week and I have no idea what host Peter Sagal and announcer Carl Kasell (who's voice I someday hope to record as my voice mail outgoing message) look like. Of course I could just Google image them, but where's the fun in that? The only voice I can put a face to is 80s/early 90s comedienne Paula Poundstone. All I can really remember of her is her masculine style of dress and getting arrested for something. In any case, this is a show not to be missed. "Am I right, ladies?" (I'm assuming that was Poundstone's type of stand up...)
Somewhat unrelated: Did you know that two German brothers started a shoe company, but later split up and became rivals? The siblings became the founders of their own respective shoe companies, Adidas and Puma. It forced everyone in their town to pick a side: Puma vs. Adidas. Crazy, huh? Just one of the great tidbits you can gather from Wait Wait.
- The Daily Show with Jon Stuart - This is the guy that keeps "real news" in check (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122375199) AND he's hilarious! They say my generation gets a majority of its knowledge of current events from programs like the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. Maybe it's a bit irresponsible, but can you blame us? MSNBC and FOX News are often just as big of a joke. Stewart calls it like he sees 'em, he's not afraid to say when Democrats are being weak pushovers and Republicans are being douchebags, AND everyone is a senior correspondent of something (soooo legit!).
- Hairspray - Such a great musical. Can't think of one number I wouldn't love. Wish I saw it when Harvey Fierstein was still in it. Pathetically, I've watched almost the entire show from someone's bootleg phone recording that was uploaded onto YouTube.

- Oprah (Favorite Things episode if possible) - NOOO not you too Oprah. Canceled? Say it ain't so. I want free shit and a cashmere sweater and a car; I'll even take an Oprah book club book, I'm not picky. But I hear you're getting your own network [insert Oprah hand grab, "Good for you! Good for you!"].
- Ellen - So I can dance and, again, walk away with some SWAG. 12 Days of Give-a-ways would be ideal.
- SNL - This one barely made the list because the current cast is pretty weak. Nevertheless, Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig still manage to carry the show (keep in mind I haven't seen any of this season. NBC/Hulu doesn't allow their online videos to air outside the U.S.)
Last, but certainly not least:
- EGOT - As Tracy Morgan's 30 Rock character awesomely displayed via his bling - "EGOT" meaning "Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony." One substitution I would make, however, would be to replace Grammy with a Golden Globe show. The Grammys are a little trashy nowadays, and as much as I enjoy music, I don't really care to see rappers and country signers thank god for 4 hours. This switch, according to my own personal rules, is clearly legal since the letter G is still represented.

In case you were wondering who has managed to score an EGOT, here's a list: http://insidetv.aol.com/2009/12/04/who-has-an-egot/
So if anyone can help me in terms of attendance to any of these shows, your assistance would be greatly appreciated. If not, no worries, I'll make it there eventually...or, like most viewers, just continue to watch these shows on television.

No comments:
Post a Comment